tax summon


The IRS has made available several tax breaks for military personnel, especially over the last few decades. For federal tax purposes, the U.S. Armed Forces includes officers and enlisted personnel in all regular and reserve units controlled by the Secretaries of Defense, the Army, Navy and Air Force. The Coast Guard is also included, but not the U.S. Merchant Marine or the American Red Cross. Some of these tax breaks are retroactive, and thus require the filing of an amended return by the affected taxpayer. Remember that if you away from home because of duty in the military, your spouse can use a power of attorney to file a joint return on your behalf. Here are ten tax breaks worth noting for military personnel.

How to handle Tax Summons

Typically, when you are receiving anything from the IRS, the experience is very stressful. Of course, there is the positive experience of receiving a refund check, but when people receive anything other than this, great stress is typically involved. Many people even take steps to avoid opening the document altogether.

However, avoiding the situation can be very dangerous and will only work to escalate the situation even further. Most of the time, the IRS will request information through a particular form called an Information Document Request, Form 4564. Surprisingly, you actually have no legal obligation to respond to this form, but by avoiding it, you may find yourself in an even more stressful situation.